As health education, nutrition, and modern medicine lengthen the life span, most people still feel physically and mentally vigorous and energetic long after their appearance begins to show signs of advancing years. The benefits of the face lift procedure are either to slow down the advance of aging by helping a relatively young individual (about forty), to retain a youthful appearance; or its purpose may be the rejuvenation of the older face, and to create a less tired, and energetic appearance.
Loose skin and sagging subcutaneous tissues of the face and neck are the most obvious signs of aging. You face lift operation by Dr. Conrad is designed to remove the excessive tissues and tighten the face and neck without creating a stretched look. In addition to the sagging, some faces become etched with numerous fine wrinkles. These may not be corrected by a facelift operation. A face peel procedure or laser skin resurfacing are effective in correcting this problem in addition to a face-neck lift.
Face Lift Surgery- Rhytidectomy
The face lift operation is usually performed with local anesthesia and sedation. Wherever possible the incisions are made inside the hairline, but the hair is not cut before the operation. The hair should be shampooed thoroughly before entering the hospital. The site of the incisions will be discussed during your preoperative Toronto face lift visit.
There is little pain and discomfort following your face lift operation. Remember that the swelling and discolorations are temporary, as are minor changes in the configuration of the hair line, which may occur, and are usually unnoticed by the observers or even by the patients.
Closing of the incisions is performed in such a manner as to exert no tension on the lines in front of the ear in order to make the scars as inconspicuous as possible, even without makeup. The tension resulting from the stretched and lifted tissue is thus distributed to the areas behind the ear and the back of the ear skirting the hairline. These scars are at times at first more visible and have to be camouflaged by combing the hair. Occasionally, they may require a small adjustment under local freezing eight to twelve months later.
If the sagging is marked prior to the face lift surgery, the results may be dramatic. In younger patients, where sagging is subtle, the improvement will be less conspicuous but remarks will be made that the face looks refreshed and less tired. The improvement is permanent and although the aging will continue it will be progressing at a smaller pace. In some instances patients request another lifting after five to ten years to maximize the results. Fat faces will have shorter lasting improvement. The face lift surgery simply "turns back the clock but does not stop it." No operation can permanently stop or prevent aging, but the individual's appearance will always be more complimentary than if the operation had never been done.
"The eyes are the window to the soul." The area immediately surrounding the eyes is very significant in how people view a person's mood and personality. Wrinkles and bulges on the upper or lower eyelids occur either because of hereditary factors or aging. The protrusions of fat above and below the eye produce pouches.
When Dr. Conrad removes or repositions this excessive fat and skin by performing eye lift surgery, the effect creates a refreshed and happier facial expression.
Forehead Lift- Brow Rejuvenation
The forehead lift surgery is performed under local freezing with sedation. The patients are requested to shampoo their hair the night prior to the surgery. There is no shaving of the hair required and every effort is made to save the hair bearing skin.
The incisions are usually hidden inside the hairline, although in some instances, may be placed along the hairline on the forehead. The skin of the forehead and eyebrows are lifted. The muscles responsible for creating wrinkles between the eyebrows and the forehead wrinkles are attenuated under the skin.
Theres no shaving of the hair during the operation but some of the hair will be cut and will remain in the scalp to fall out during the first two hair washings after the forehead lift procedure. This should not alarm you as a sign of losing your hair. The incision is closed by metal staples, which are removed between the seventh and twelfth day following the operation with minimal, if any, discomfort. You can wash your hair on the third day, combing it gently with your fingers to avoid catching on the staples along the incision line. You should not dye your hair for three weeks after the surgery and therefore it is advisable to do it a few days prior to the operation.
Endoscopic Forehead Lift
An endoscopic approach is a new technique in all surgical specialties has been developed in the eighties. With the use of special instrumentation, surgeons are able to perform procedures inside the body cavities without making large incisions. It is extremely useful in abdominal, lung, and orthopedic surgery. It has become one of the fastest developing techniques in facial plastic surgery, especially in corrections of the forehead and mid face. Whereas some surgeons use this method, it has certain limitations and is not suitable for every patient. The choice of this technique will depend on the age of the patient, the characteristics of the hairline, and eyebrow configuration.
The direct eyebrow lift – mid-forehead lift
The indications for these operations are the same as for the forehead lift. The technique differs mainly with regard to the placement of the incisions and the treatment of the forehead muscles. It is still performed by some surgeons. Dr. Conrad prefers to discourage these procedures because of the unpredictability of the scar formation that exists in every patient.
After your face lift surgery, the first six weeks
- Move the head and shoulders as one unit or as though you had a "stiff neck."
- Elevate the head of the bed thirty degrees to forty degrees during the first three weeks after the operation.
- Specific medication for pain relief will be prescribed for you while you are in the clinic and at home.
- We recommend that you mostly remain in bed for the first twelve hours following face lift surgery.
- If your dressing, which is applied under some tension, begins to feel excessively tight or uncomfortable, report it by calling the office at your earliest convenience. After twelve hours following the surgery you may sit in a chair, walk to the bathroom or around the house remaining out of bed as much as possible.
- While at home, you may be given to wear a special chin sling for a week, day and night, for as long as tolerated. The sling may be removed for washing and drying. If you feel comfortable, it will be advantageous to wear the sling for an additional week at night.
- If you live in another city, Dr. Conrad prefers you stay in town for approximately 7 to 10 days following your face lift surgery.
- Excessive sunning of the face is always harmful to the skin. It should be particularly avoided for the first eight months after your Toronto facelift surgery.
- Discolorations can be camouflaged by using opaque makeup one week after your face lift in Toronto. A water-base makeup may be applied with a moist sponge and after it dries, a second layer may be applied. It can be removed with water. DO NOT apply makeup over the incisions themselves for several days after the removal of the sutures.
- Measure your temperature in the mouth daily in the morning and report any persistent elevations above 100.l degrees Fahrenheit or 37.5 degrees Celsius.
- Glasses and contact lenses may be worn as soon as the bandages are removed. If eyelid surgery was carried out at the same time, refer to the instructions pertaining to blepharoplasty. If nasal cosmetic surgery was also performed refer to the instructions under rhinoplasty.
- Returning to work and resuming social activities is usually possible after three weeks. In some cases, this period might be slightly extended.
After your lift surgery avoid
- Turning the head or bending the neck
- Straining at stool an; ask for a laxative if you need it
- Excessive grinning, smiling and turning, bending and extending the head for two weeks
- Foods that are hard to chew; drink through a straw for the first two days
- Yawning with the mouth widely open for two weeks
After your lift surgery do not
- Apply makeup over the incisions themselves for several days after the removal of the sutures
- Use a blow dryer, floor standing salon dryers are preferable
- Rest your neck on the rim of the wash bowl in the area of the incisions
- Color the hair until four weeks after surgery
- Tweeze the eyebrows for two weeks
- Wear clothing that must be pulled over the head until ten days after surgery
- Perform athletic activities or exercises that involve turning the head for at least six weeks
After your lift surgery you may
- Start having your hair washed three days later preferably at home and ten days later at a salon.
- Take a shower three days after surgery
- After washing comb your hair gently with your fingers
- Three days after surgery, use a gentle upward motion while washing your face with a mild soap applied with cotton balls
Your scars will mature and become less noticeable within one year after your surgery.
Smoking may result in poor scar quality, the scars being much wider than in non-smokers.
Common questions about face lift surgery
Many patients frequently ask whether it would be possible to have more face lifts in the future. They are also under the impression that once they have had a face lift operation, another face lift will become mandatory a few years down the road. Modern techniques used in face lifting preserve a natural hairline, thus allowing for another operation if desired in the future.
There are two reasons for a second face lift
- When there are advanced tissue changes, the first operation may not succeed in the degree of the improvement desired by the patient, despite great efforts on the part of the surgeon, although an improvement can be expected.
- The psychological effects of face lifting may be so remarkable that after a few years, despite a still relatively youthful look, he/she may wish to experience again the same satisfaction.
Why would you choose Dr. Conrad’s clinic in Toronto or Richmond Hill for your facial surgery?
The first warm welcome you receive when you call us, is immediate reassurance that you will be given our full attention. We will make certain that you are at ease and comfortable with your progress following the treatment until you are well recovered and healed.
You can expect Dr. Conrad’s personal attention before during and after the surgery. You will be encouraged to ask any questions regarding the treatment you request.